Chance to win a hardcover journal from Quotable Journals below.
There’s no better way to clear the cobwebs from your writer brain. Whether you’re stalled out, stopped up, or just need to cleanse your palate—I’ve got you covered. Here’s 25 journal writing prompts to get you writing.
25 Journal Prompts to Get You Writing
- What is the biggest barrier between you and full honesty in your journalling?
- What would you do with $10 million?
- What are the three strangest or most inappropriate sex dreams you’ve ever had?
- What scares you the most about dying?
- If you could start your life over, what three things would you change?
- Write a letter to your 5-year-old self.
- A time traveller offers to kidnap your child self so you can raise him/her. Do you do it?
- “Tomorrow will be better because today I learned…”
- “If I could change one thing about the world, it would be…”
- “The thing I’d be most ashamed for someone to know about me is…”
- “The thing I do most often when I’m supposed to be doing something else is…”
- What are the top five skills you wish you had? Why?
- “I wish I knew these three things for sure.”
- “I am most grateful for…”
- Which book most influenced your life?
- “If I had the courage, I would…”
- Write a letter to a fictional character.
- What are you wearing right now, and why are you wearing it?
- When you picture God, what does s/he look like?
- What is your MBTI personality? And what do you love/hate about it?
- Write a journal entry about something that didn’t happen.
- “I’ve always wondered…”
- What is your favorite hot drink, and how do you make it?
- What is the one thing you wish others understood about you?
- If you knew s/he had to answer honestly, what would you ask?
Win This Hardcover Journal
Leave a comment for a chance to win this hardcover journal from Quotable Journals.
[Winner selected. Giveaway now closed. Congratulations to Anna Stewart.]
You might tell me which prompt got you writing, a little about your journalling practice, or share a tip for other journal writers here.
Next, keep up your writing momentum with 58 Science Fiction Writing Prompts. Or check out my answer to prompt #23: The Worst Ginger Tea Recipe You’ll Ever Read (But The Taste Is Worth It)
There’s no greater freedom or honesty than journal writing.
That’s why “J” is for Journalling
[This is an article from the 2014 Writers of Kern “A” to “Z” Blog Challenge Series. See the rest of the series.]
Someone you know would love to read this article. Be a bro and send it to them.
Decided to keep it all to yourself? That’s okay. Who doesn’t want to look like a natural? Don’t worry, I won’t tell. But don’t be a one hit wonder either. Get your writing tips on steady drip, and be the first to know when the next article goes live. Just slap your favorite email into the footer below.
Psst: You’ll get The Character Most Writers Get Wrong (And How To Fix It) character design guide free.